1. BreezeJS Feature Suggestions

Help us make Breeze.js better by letting us know what you’d like to see next.

Suggest new features, vote on existing ones, or fork Breeze in GitHub and send us a pull request.

1. Tools for meta data creation for breeze not depending on a server-side ORM and tools for ORM-less server-code generation

For me ia server-side ORM for a web application is a wrong cut. I think business logic should go as close to the data as possible to guarantee consistency, protection, and security. This means to me using stored procedures and database functions wherever possible (in a relational environment) and reasonable. In addition, if done right it's arguably unbeatably fast. The role of the Web API should be to provide access to the data across the network but not processing it.

Let's suppose we have to query the database for all open orders for a certain customer including order items and…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable Breeze to run in Web Worker thread

Probably difficult to do at this stage, but it would be interesting to find a way to have breezejs run in a web worker...although maybe there's not enough of a performance benefit.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. use serverside model default values on entity creation clientside

hi there
    i would like to use default values from the database model on the clientside. when i retrieve the metainformation a property deaultValue is already there but it doesn't get refelcted when using manager.createEntity(...)
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16741155/how-does-breeze-handle-database-column-defaults

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Demonstrate How to Debug Metadata Exceptions

If I navigate to api/breeze/metadata, it returns proper json for my Entity Framework DbContext. However, when called from the app, it just returns Metadata queryfailed, NaN. Would be good to know what is wrong. I have unit tested the context and it is fine. Perhaps a validation screen where you paste in your json and it tells you what is wrong or not supported. thanks.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. XML metadata from WCF Data Services

Breeze doesn't seem able to consume the XML metadata from WCF Data Services, it wants it in JSON format. Can't find any good workarounds.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. EntityManager validation

Allow validators to be added to the EntityManager right away, have EM 'hold' them until MetaData is retrieved, and than add them accordingly. Instead of putting that on the client of EM...

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Order by the length of a string property.

use case:
    when performing a text search I want to to take the records that contain the input text but also order the results and take these that are the shortest.

like so:
    query.orderBy("textProp.Length);

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. (Minor) code change for tutorial - Angular.js

Currently the javascript reads:
    $scope.results = data.results;
    $scope.$apply();

Consider this instead:
    $scope.$apply(function () {
    $scope.results = data.results;
    });
    If code isn’t wrapped in a function passed to $apply, and it throws an error, that error is thrown outside of AngularJS, which means any error handling being used in your application is going to miss it. $apply not only runs your code, but it runs it in a try/catch so your error is always caught, and the $digest call is in a finally clause, meaning it will run regardless of an error being thrown.

http://jimhoskins.com/2012/12/17/angularjs-and-apply.html

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. camelCased resourceby default

I have a database with Countries (Capital c). I use camelCase with breeze and I can query like this:
    entityQuery.from("countries"). However, when I want to query locally I need to use entityQuery.from("Countries") or metadataStore.setEntityTypeForResourceName('countries', 'Country');

I do the latter, but I would like this to be done automatically when setting camelcase as default.

Or am I doing something wrong?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please make it works on IE7

There are a lot of users still using IE7, if the breezejs hope to be widely adapted for any web solutions, IE7 support still a MUST.

I have tried your suggestion on your documentation but no lucks.

If you are sure that it works on IE7, please draft a documentation on how to adapt breezejs on IE7 under Windows XP.

Just for this reason, I cannot adapt breezejs on my projects.
    Thanks.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Breeze/OData calling FetchEntityByKey should not use filter syntax

When using Breeze with OData and calling the entityManager.FetchEntityByKey() the following request is sent:

/odata/Customers?$filter=Id eq 2

I would have expected

/odata/Customers(2)

for more see: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20440358/breeze-odata-calling-fetchentitybykey-does-use-filter-entitysetcontroller-geten

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Firebase Support?

I read in the documentation that Firebase was supported. Is there a way to use Breeze JS with Firebase 3?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Breeze.WebApi prevents exception handling

Whenever an exception is thrown from a code triggered in an action method decorated with the BreezeQueryableAttribute, it will cause a new NullReferenceException to be thrown from within the the BreezeQueryableAttribute.OnActionExecuted method.

This prevents standard, best practice exception handling and logging using ExceptionFilterAttributes.

The exception thrown from the action that is expected to be handled and logged will never reach the exception filter, since it is hidden by the following NullReferenceException from Breeze.

I have cloned the Breeze Git repository, and think the solution to the problem would be as follows:

(In Breeze.WebApi.BreezeQueryableAttribute.OnActionExecuted, the following lines should be added in…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. let me "trick" the data context provider into thinking an entity was saved

for some entities I want to use a costume save operation, I do this be overriding the "BeforeSaveEntity" method. later is want the "saveResult" send to the client to include the entities I saved using my own code.

use case:
    an entity is saved to a database along side with a file that gets saved to a blob storage. the two operations should be an "all or nothing" transection. so I need to control what happens if one fails.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Not force orderBy with skip

When you use the skip(n) operation, you are forced to supply and orderBy clause as well or an error occurs. Advisable as it may be to supply one, I suppose you could do without.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Navigation property mapping issue with changed foreign key

To reproduce:

1. Have an entity with a navigation property and associated foreign key.
    2. Set the foreign key value.
    3. Execute a query for the entity belonging to that foreign key value.
    4. Set the foreign key to a different value.
    5. When the query in (3) finishes executing, it sees that there is a mapping in the unattached children map and sets the navigation property on the entity. Therefore changing the foreign key back to the value set in (2) and we lose the value set in (4).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Avoid the manual entity type creation process when there aren´t 1:1 mappings between your database and client business objects .

When using a lot of DTO´s instead of 1:1 entity mappings, having to add those types manually to the metadataStore is a "painful" process.
    I´ve come up with https://github.com/dotnetricardo/SummerBreeze to minimize that operation. can you please add a similar feature?
    Thank you very much!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Exclude entire entities from metadata (EF backend)

I've seen some SO topics on excluding individual entity properties, but have not figured out a way to exclude entire entities.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. describe how to fix Breeze/Angular template

The template is broken on the Microsoft web site due to a dependency on jQuery packages. However, if you download it, create a new project with the template, and then add the jQuery and jQuery UI nuget packages manually, the new app does in fact run. All you have to do is describe that simple set of instructions.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

1. BreezeJS Feature Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base