How can we improve Breeze.js?

Make it easier to create custom DataTypes

I've been able to write a custom DataType implementation for Moment.js but am stuck in places where the equality of two instances of the DataType is evaluated.

Currently, there are a number of lines of code which specifically handle Dates differently because of their inability to be compared using ===. For instance, in a35_defaultPropertyInterceptor.js:

// exit if no change - extra cruft is because dateTimes don't compare cleanly.
if (newValue === oldValue || (dataType && dataType.isDate && newValue && oldValue && newValue.valueOf() === oldValue.valueOf())) {
return;
}

However, that means if I want a custom DataType, and need a custom equality operator, I have to edit this portion of the file. Instead, I propose using the `getComparableFn` method already available:

// exit if no change - extra cruft is because dateTimes don't compare cleanly.
var normalize = dataType && DataType.getComparableFn(dataType);
if (newValue === oldValue || (dataType && normalize && normalize(newValue) === normalize(oldValue)) {
return;
}

This would be similar to what you're doing in `getComparer` in `OrderByClause` in a45_entityQuery.js. One could use the same logic for the `coEquals` function in `EntityType` in a40_entityMetadata.js.

The other oddity I found while doing this was the custom code used for Dates in `fromJSON` in `DataProperty`. This function would seem better served by using the `parse` function of the dataType itself, or the static `DataType.parseRawValue`.

Finally, it would be nice to be able to attach a `getConcurrencyValue` function to `DataType` for use in `updateConcurrencyProperty` in `a50_entityManager.js`.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike McCaughanMike McCaughan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike McCaughanMike McCaughan commented  · 

Thanks for taking a look at this!

I was looking at creating a custom datatype for the Moment.js library, as we are trying to use that in our app for easier date handling. I looked at all of the places in breeze.js where there's special handling for Dates, since Moments are obviously very similar.

That's where I noticed the special handling for Dates in `fromJSON`. It would be nice to have an extension point on DataType for that purpose, but maybe I'm not understanding the purpose?

• Steve SchmittSteve Schmitt commented  · 

These are good ideas; it should be easier to create custom datatypes.

We have to be careful in a35_defaultPropertyInterceptor.js, because that's a very hot path (it gets executed every time any property changes on any entity).

DataType.fromJSON is different from the `parse` function because it has different expectations about the incoming format. It's handling the metadata definitions, not arbitrary query responses.

Feedback and Knowledge Base