How can we improve Breeze.js?

for Linux

I quickly scanned the documentation about installation and found heavy reference to Visual Studio. While I have VS2008 installed on one of my PCs. My day-to-day working machine is a Ubuntu box. Could you show some instruction about using Breeze on a Linux box? Perhaps with Eclipse as the IDE. Or make Breeze available on an online IDE such as JS Fiddle? Thanks.

76 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Simon Sin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  AdminAdmin (Product Manager, Breeze.js) responded  · 

Simon,

Yes, our initial launch shows Breeze using Visual Studio 2012 with a .NET Entity Framework back-end.

Breeze does not require .NET, but this is currently how we have the data provider hooked up through WebAPI. We are planning to support other back-ends and front-ends, as well as show IDEs other than Visual Studio. Your feedback on UserVoice helps us prioritize these features.

Thanks for the feedback and your interest in Breeze.

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tomasz Paprocki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Binding Breeze to some specific IDE under Linux/Unix is not a bad idea but... when you bring this issue to the lower level - I assume it would be better to develop some layers for Java / PHP / Ruby / etc.. My point is - Breeze doesn't really have to be attached to any specific IDE - most important thing is to make it work with other technologies first. I am sure add-ons can be contributed by/with IDEs community afterwards.

Technology compatibility could be a breakthrough also for Windows users - for those who does not want to work with .NET.

• Simon Sin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

John, thanks. Based on your reply which I received in my email I suppose I can use Mono Development as the front end to put Breeze into action in a Linux platform? It is supposed Mono permits you to do .NET development thus may support Breeze on the back=end!?

Feedback and Knowledge Base