How can we improve Breeze.js?

Use websockets/signalr to push updated objects instantly out to the client cache

On the client side, objects can get stale if they are frequently updated. Instead of requiring constant polling to see if entities have changed, allow updates to be pushed from the server out to the client cache. That change would in turn trigger knockout bindings so that the HTML instantly updates.

385 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brian Reynolds shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ward Bell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We often need to know quickly about backend changes and we are convinced (rightly or wrongly) that we shouldn't poll. SignalR is a great option ... for notification. However, I am not convinced at present that SignalR should deliver the entities to the client let alone update the client cache. I am more of the opinion that SignalR should tell the client about changes ... and let the client decide what to do about that. THEREFORE, while I'm eager to see an example of a Breeze client working collaboratively with SignalR notification, I don't feel that Breeze itself should incorporate this feature. It would help immensely if you would share your thought on Notification vs. Cache Update.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base